About the Kiln Shop
PGC’s 950-square-foot kiln shop has flexible space for kiln forming, with state-of-the-art ventilation, an individual mold making room, and convertible clam shell annealers. We are often joined by world-renowned kiln artists, including Susan Taylor Glasgow, Kari Minnick, and Helen Stokes, among many others.
Kiln Shop Up Close
Our 950-square-foot air-conditioned kiln shop has flexible space to accommodate all types of activities. It includes:
- Four 2’ x 3’ casting kilns
- Two 18" x 24" fusing/casting combination kilns
- Two 20” x 40” fusing kilns
- Two 24" w x 15" h x 22.5" d front-loading Paragon kilns
- Three separate rooms all with individual ventilation: classroom, kiln room, and mold making area for both wax and plaster
- Swing-arm ventilation in classroom space for painting, leading, or enameling
Rent The Studio
NEW! Rental Hours:
Sundays 10:00am - 4:00pm
Mondays 9:00am - 9:30pm
Tuesdays 9:00am - 9:30pm
Wednesdays 9:00am - 9:30pm
Thursdays 9:00am - 9:30pm
Fridays 9:00am - 8:00pm
Saturdays 10:00am - 6:00pm
Please remember to always check in and out with a technician that is on duty. Ask for help if you are not familiar with programming kilns. Other fees may apply for failing to clean up ($25), failing to check out ($25), and/or damaging equipment.
COVID-19 Rental Guidelines
- Kiln Shop Capacity: 5
- Masks are required at all times when 2 or more people are in the space.
- Use provided hand sanitizer and/or wash hands regularly.
- Bringing your own tools is encouraged whenever possible.
- All studio tools require sanitation after use. Spray and wipe tools after use and return them to the drawer.
- Sanitize all touched and utilized surfaces as well as equipment after use with the provided sanitizing spray and wipes.
Open studio is a special rate offered to students currently enrolled in a class. Open studio is different from regular rental. A monitor is available during open studio to help or answer any questions.
$40 flat rate
What's included: Use of tools, small scrap, and approximately 200 square inches of kiln space (small paragon or bell kiln)
Casting room (use of casting room and steamer) and general kiln studio (use of kiln studio and its tools/equipment)
Includes use of tools and equipment, materials not included.
Small Kilns* $40/firing
Hot Shop Casters $50/firing
Bell Kilns $60/firing
Flame Paragons $50/firing
For slumping, fusing, basic firing programs no more than 24 hours.
* Small kilns are Y1, Y2 and the Paragons in the kiln shop.
For castings and longer firing programs, the first 24 hours is charged the standard rate. Each additional hour will incur these charges.
- Bullseye Scrap $7.50/pound
- Plaster + Silica Fee (please bring your own plaster and silica) $10/session
- Hot Shop Steamer $5/hour
- Non-fusible Scrap $5/pound