The Garfield Youth Apprenticeship is an 8-week program that invites local youth aged 16 – 24 years old from our Garfield neighborhood for a paid learning and apprenticeship program at Pittsburgh Glass Center.
Youth apprentices receive personalized instruction and training in PGC’s Hot Shop, working closely with trained glass artists to learn basic glassblowing techniques and studio safety procedures. Throughout the program, students will work collaboratively with each other and with PGC mentors and staff while learning new skills in a creative environment. After participating in the program students should feel comfortable working with hot glass and are equipped to become paid teaching assistants in the Hot Shop for Pittsburgh Glass Center’s public classes and workshops and are invited to continue taking classes at PGC to advance their glass education and hone their skills as a developing glass artist.
- Garfield resident
- Between the ages of 16 – 24 when the program begins
- Ability to attend all 16 sessions in their entirety
- Ability to attend all sessions in their entirety
- Collaborate with students, staff, and mentors throughout the program
- Willingness to learn new skills and engage in new creative practices
- Gain eligibility to become a paid teaching assistant for Pittsburgh Glass Center classes and workshops
- Contribute thoughtful feedback and insights on how to improve future programming
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:00PM – 6:00PM
- September 26 – November 16, 2023
- 2 sessions per week/2-hour sessions for a total of 16 sessions
- $75 ($18.75/hour) stipend per week
- Total stipend available: $600 per student
- 6 students per session
APPLY ONLINE BY SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2023.
If you have any questions, or concerns, or need help filling out the form please call 412-365-2145 or email.