About The Cold Shop
Pittsburgh Glass Center has one of the most well-equipped Cold Shops in the country. The air-conditioned 770-square-foot studio is flooded with natural light and has plenty of table space for work. There is no project that is too ambitious for our Czech lathes and the arsenal of sintered diamond wheels available. PGC has been fortunate to host a number of world-class cold working instructors, like František Janák, Jiyong Lee, and Kathy Elliott.
Our Cold Shop Features:
- One 30″ Sommer and Maca flat lap pumice wheel
- Two 36″ Steinert variable speed flat grinding wheels — 80 grit and 220 grit
- Two Bohemia BMK1 lathes
- One Merker GNH engraving lathe
- Two flex shaft Foredom grinders
- One 20″ MK wet saw
- Two MK tile saws
- One Steinert doublespindle polishing machine
- Two Sommer and Maca belt sanders
- One Vibrolap
- One 52″ w x 28″ h x 28″ d recirculating sandblaster
Cold Shop Rental
There is a limited capacity in all studios and rental times vary. See the calendar below.
Since our studios are busier than ever, is important that you email us ahead of time to reserve studio space. Please include the requested studio, date, time frame, and any additional equipment that will be needed for the rental session. Prior to submitting a rental request, please make sure you have an active membership and a credit card on file for payments.
To schedule Cold Shop rental email us.
- General cold shop usage charged by the half hour. Usage of UV light also at this rate.
- Monthly Package $60/month
- Quarterly Package $150/quarter
- Yearly Package $500/year
HXTAL $5 for 3 grams +$0.50 each additional gram Includes 1 cup for mixing, 1 pipette, 91% isopropyl alcohol, and lint free wipes.